Thursday, April 19, 2012

Getting stuck! That is a problem I have struggled with repeatedly over my painting years. Usually it happens shortly after I've had a show. It seems that the work needed to put together a show pulls a lot of ideas out of me, and I need to "percolate" for a while to get back into the groove. The problem comes when it stretches from a few weeks to a few months, and while I go into the studio, what I do there seems singularly uninspired and boring to me. That causes a circular downward spiral of feeling inadequate and untalented and that adds up to being less able to work. Sometimes it just ends as suddenly as it came on, but I have found that getting excited about working again, and trying a new medium or new technique can bring an end to a block. I just finished taking a workshop and for the first time in several months I am full of new ideas and a desire to try new things and get to work again. I am hoping that by painting every day, I will be able to keep up the enthusiasm and prolong a period of productive, creative work. Ideas generate more ideas and the encouragement of friends is the impetus to keep going!

No comments:

Post a Comment